Monday, October 1, 2007

Week 9: Thing # 22: Overdrive Audio

I have been a fan of Overdrive Audio for about a year. I first downloaded the program after Baltimore County put ebooks on the library website. I have listened to 2 books on my computer. I usually listen while doing stuff around the house. What I would like to do is to have an MP3 player so I can listen to books while I'm out walking.
I picked out a children's book by Ann Rinaldi called The Fifth of March. I found the book in the list of historical fiction. Searching Overdrive when you're not sure what you want to read can be difficult. The books are arranged as lists that you must scroll through to read the titles. When I selected this title, I was able to click on a link that provided a sample of the audio. Listening to the clip of the first chapter really captured my interest in the book, and I decided to check it out.
Overdrive has limited number of copies of many of its' audio books. Many times, a book that I'm looking for is checked out and has holds waiting for it. Limited availability is a real downside to the service. Some titles are available in unlimited copies.
Project Gutenburg is a great service. I have suggested that customers take a look at this sight if they are looking for a copy of classic literature, like a Shakespeare play. The ebooks can really come in handy if the library does not have copies or if someone is looking for the material from outside of the library.

No comments: